Cutting directions: In order for Quilty Friends blocks to consistantly create secondary patterns, I have created them to be symetrical. The pattern is the same in each quadrant of the block. Consequently the half square triangle patch, in the Quilty Friends context, always comes in sets of 4 and is always in the position of edge patch. These directions are for 4 patches.
- Cut 2 light 5 1/4" squares
- Cut 2 dark 5 1/4" squares.
- Draw one diagonal line from corner to corner on the wrong side of each 5 1/4" square of background fabric. (You should have 2)
- With right sides together, sew background squares to coordinating squares just shy of 1/4" from the line on both sides of the line. This will result in a square of fabric with two parallel lines of stitching about 1/2" apart running diagonally across the square.
- Cut along the drawn line creating 2 triangle shaped pieces from each square.
- Being careful not to warp the triangles, open the triangles and iron seams toward the darker fabric.
- Trim squares to 4 1/2" inches.